Day three was devoted to the skills required to use Theory U effectively. David explained the seven principles of generative listening:
- Slow down and be present
- Pay attention to the words of the people
- Pay attention to the words and images used by the speaker
- Become aware of their feelings
- Suspend judgements
- Seek clarification by asking questions
- Pay attention to your own feelings.
Donal then went on to explain the four stages of generative speaking or responding.
- Say what you heard
- Say what has been triggered as you listened
- Say what you don’t fully understand
- Say what you found missing in the other person’s talking
Donal formed a ‘fish bowl’ of Brothers who tried to put generative listening and responding into practice. Finally, the group broke in groups of four to practise some generative speaking and responding.